New Oklahoma City koi pond owners may sometimes feel overwhelmed when the construction of their new pond is complete. Many questions may arise about the maintenance of the new water feature. The top question we are asked by prospective, new, and current koi pond and water feature owners is:
“How often do I need to clean my pond?”
The easiest way to remember is by getting on a schedule that you follow every year. We recommend cleaning your pond with the changing of the seasons.
A thorough spring cleaning is essential for your koi pond. A good spring cleaning consists of the following:
- Completely draining, cleaning, and power washing the entire pond. This is a very DIRTY, WET, and often COLD job!
- Wash and replace filter pads and filter media as needed
- Re-stack rocks as needed
- Clean waterfalls and remove debris
- Reconnect pump and start up the filtration system
- Clean pump and perform any needed maintenance
- Check pond lights and replace if needed
- Add necessary water treatments
During the summer months, while you are fully enjoying your water feature, we recommend having a quick maintenance session. For mid-season maintenance:
Drain and clean biofilters and filter media
Clean all filter mats
Clean out pump intake
Clean skimmer baskets
Prune pond/water feature plants
While fall tends to be one of the busiest seasons for our clients, (kids starting school and holidays), it is still important to get your Oklahoma koi pond ready for winter. We make sure to do the same steps as we did for the Spring pond cleaning while also completing the following:
- Install netting, to catch any falling leaves or debris
- Trim plants for winter
- Make sure to follow this koi pond maintenance schedule every year so your pond will operate in top shape for years to come!
KOI POND CLEANINGS ARE ESSENTIAL – This is especially true if you have fish and other wildlife living in your pond. The pond is their home and homes need to remain clean and well maintained. So, get your clean out scheduled asap!